Total Project Area: 4.4 miles along I-95 from Yardley-Newtown Road/Route 332 Interchange (Exit 49) in Pennsylvania to Bear Tavern Road/Route 579 (Exit 2) in New Jersey
Major Project Elements:
- Replace the current congestion-prone, functionally obsolete Scudder Falls Bridge with a dual-span structure carrying six thru-traffic lanes (three in each direction) and three auxiliary lanes (two northbound, one southbound) for traffic merging onto and off the bridge.
- Widen to the inside the bridge’s Pennsylvania I-95 approach, increasing the roadway to three lanes in each direction.
- Reconstruct the entire I-95/Route 29 Interchange (Exit 1) and its associated ramps and structures in Ewing, N.J.
- Reconfigure the I-95/Taylorville Road Interchange (Exit 51) in Lower Makefield, PA.
- Erect noise-abatement walls where warranted in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. (PA noise walls began in 2016)
- Improve/expand drainage and approach-roadway exit/entry transitions in New Jersey.
- Construct a pedestrian/bicycle walkway on the new bridge’s upstream side, connecting the recreational canal towpaths in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
- Install an all-electronic tolling (AET) gantry and related infrastructure for highway-speed toll collection along the new bridge’s southbound lanes through E-ZPass tag readers and high-speed video cameras for license-plate billing.
- Mitigate environmental impacts from construction to protect shortnose sturgeon, red-bellied turtles, Indiana bats, yellow lampmussels, wetlands, and other natural and cultural resources.
Electronic Tolling Start (southbound only): Sometime in 2019.
Estimated Full Project Duration: 4-1/2 years
New Scudder Falls Bridge and Interchange Map
Project Progress Photos
Construction Progress - November/December 2017
Project Progress Archives
Special Travel Alert Dec. 16: I-95 southbound between Quarry Road and the Route 332/Nowtown-Yardley Road interchange (Exit 49) in Lower Makefield, PA will be reduced to a single lane for emergency pavement repairs 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. SATURDAY, Dec. 16.
Special Travel Alert Dec. 20 & 21: Both lanes of Route 175/River Road in Ewing, N.J. will be closed OVERNIGHT in the vicinity of the I-95 approach overpass to the Scudder Falls Bridge 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Wednesday, Dec. 20 and Thursday, Dec. 21. The on-ramp to I-95 northbound from Route 175/River Road will be inaccessible during these overnight closures; affected motorists should follow the posted detour routes)
NOTICE: Construction activities are currently taking place weeknights at the New Jersey landing area for the upstream span of the Scudder Falls Replacement Bridge. This work involves vibration driving of coffer dam piling with the use of cranes and other heavy equipment. Noise-intensive work that had been taking place until 2 a.m. must now stop at 11 p.m. until further notice.